Recommended Websites, Authors & New Thinking
With the millions of websites, blogs, and books out there, we want to share a few that we trust and rely upon to support HR and OD leaders and professionals.
We include major HR and OD professional associations, some of which you may be familiar. The professional associations offer online education, professional certifications, resources and forums/conferences to build networks and increased capacity in members and non-members. Additionally, the individuals and groups in our blog list represent those who bring a novel lens or perspective and have a particular interest in the support of our profession. We hope they’re insightful to you! We will be adding to both these lists in the very near future.
Association for Talent Development
(formerly ASTD – Association for Training & Development)
Massachusetts: Boston & Grafton
New York: NYC
Rhode Island: East Greenwich
Society for Human Resource Management
Connecticut: 6 chapters
Maine: 7 chapters
Massachusetts: 5 chapters
New York: 15 chapters
Rhode Island: 1 chapter
Massachusetts: Framingham, Waltham & Wellesley
New York: NYC, Buffalo
Some Recommended Books to Unleash Your Curiosity and Talent
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell. Back Bay Books, 2005.Build it: The Rebel Playbook for World-Class Employee Engagement by Glenn Elliott & Debra Corey. Wiley, 2018.
- Destination Profit: Creating People-Profit Opportunities in Your Organization by Scott Cawood and Rita V. Bailey. Davies-Black Publishing, 2006.
- Eight Paradoxes of Great Leadership: Embracing Conflicting Demands of Today’s Workplace by Tim Elmore. Harper-Collins Leadership, 2021.
- The EQ Edge: Emotional Intelligence and Your Success by Steven Stein Ph.D. and Howard E. Book, M.D., Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2011.
- The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization by Peter M. Senge. Doubleday, 1990.
- Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used by Peter Block. Pfeiffer/John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
- The H-Factor: The Intersection Between Humility and Great Leadership by Matthew Sowcik, Ph.D. New Degree Press, 2022.
- Imperfect: The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown. Hazelden Publishing, 2010.
- The New Work Exchange: Embracing the Future by Putting Employees First by Scott Cawood. Forbes Books, 2023.
- Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant. Penguin Books, 2016.
- Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World’s Top Minds by Carmine Gallo. St. Martin’s Press, 2014.
- Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don’t Know by Adam Grant. Penguin/Random House, 2021.
- Victory Through Organization: Why the War for Talent is Failing Your Company and What You Can Do About It by David Ulrich, David Kryscynski, Mike Ulrich, and Wayne Brockbank. McGraw-Hill, 2017.